Friday, August 23rd, 2019

Work After Studies

As in the US and UK, students who go to Australia for full-time studies can work up to 20 hours per week part-time. However, spouses of students can work for unlimited time, if the student goes for Masters level education. Spouses of other students can only work up to 20 hours.

Another advantage for the students is that they could obtain a Work Permit along with the student visa itself, for which the total fee is AUS $ 540 (may be changed from time to time)

All international students have to apply for and obtain Tax File Number (TFN) before applying for a job in Australia – even part-time job. Obtaining TFN is easy, since that can be done online, once the student reaches Australia.

When the student visa is received, the government lets one in on basis of temporary entry for study with the understanding that one will leave upon completion of course and before the visa will expire. However, Australia continues to have demand for foreign workers, and students that have earned a degree in Australia have a special work visa category. There are also several other visa categories open to international students, and Australia has a very straightforward path to permanent residency using a points system . If one wants to stay and work after one graduate, one must apply and obtain a work visa.

Here are a few of the categories of visa that are available:

  • 485 Skilled Graduate Temporary Visa – This visa is the most common option available to international students after graduating.
  • 442 Occupational Trainee Visa – Another option for international students, the 442 visa is for students to improve their work skills for up to two years while being sponsored by an employer.
  • 487 Regional Sponsored Visa – This visa provides a pathway for permanent residency while allowing one to work for 3 years and work in a specialized regional area
  • 887 Skilled Regional Residence Visa – The 887 visa awards one permanent residency and with this one can live and work in Australia permanently. One must have already lived in Australia for two years, have a year of work experience and have sufficient points.
  • 885 Skilled Independent Residence Visa – The 885 visa allows one to live as a permanent resident and work without needing to be sponsored
  • 886 Skilled Sponsor Resident Visa – The 886 visa allows an overseas student to apply for permanent residency and work while being sponsored by an employer.